Portfolio (sample) LinkedIn profile
- Ed.D. Boston College, 2009, educational administration, MESPA Cohort #4, Dissertation title: “Addressing academic stress in a suburban high school”
- Ed.M. Harvard Graduate School of Education, 1999, educational administration, principal’s certification program, research assistant: JFK School of Gov’t
- B.S. University of Massachusetts at Amherst, 1994, geology, varsity tennis team
- MBSR. UMass Memorial Center for Mindfulness, qualified to teach the 8-week Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction course
The American School of Dubai (UAE), 1900 students, KG1-12, 2017-present
- Superintendent. Keeper of the school’s Mission. Leader of the core leadership team, responsible for the management and leadership toward the five-year Strategic Plan. Facilitates fiduciary, strategic, and generative governance with a 7-member Board of Trustees.
The International Schools Group–Saudi Arabia, 4500 students, 2013-2017
- Superintendent. Responsible for establishing and leading the 21st Century Learning Initiative. Supported seven schools in the not-for-profit district. “Modernized” the district in terms of classroom instruction, spaces, technology, operations, and communications (including social media). Established district’s Core Values. Facilitated fiduciary, strategic, and generative leadership with a 12-member Board of Trustees.
- Teacher. Race, Culture & Human Rights hybrid course via G Classroom. Happy Teacher course for staff.
The American School in London, 9-12, 470 students, 2009-2013
- High School Principal. Responsible for implementing the Strategic Plan and the school Mission. Overall supervision and evaluation, and hiring of 75 faculty and staff. Overseeing the development of a 9-12 Experiential & Character Education curriculum. Develop and administer divisional budget and student activities program. Liaise with parents and students on various school improvement initiatives. Chair faculty teaching and learning groups. Supported gender equity student protest/initiative. Facilitate Community Partnerships service learning program. Co-chair K-12 projects, including Global Perspective and School Climate; Core Values adoption. Member of Board of Trustees subcommittee on Diversity and Financial Aid. Student Assemblies: Social Media; Academic Integrity.
- Teacher. Race, Culture & Human Rights: social studies elective (2010-2013) Physical Science (April – June, 2011); Health (guest teacher each semester)
- Tennis Coach. Boys & Girls HS Varsity (2012-2013); Girls & Boys MS (2010-2011)
- Club Advisor. Change by Change; Ping Pong; Sparks (Community Partnership)
Needham High School, 9-12, 1400 students, 2004-2009
- Principal. Responsible for implementing the School Improvement Plan and the school Mission; overall supervision and evaluation, and hiring for 180 staff. Develop and administered school budget and student activities program. Oversaw and managed four-year, $62m construction and renovation project. Participated in the establishment of Albertville, France and Shanghai, China student and staff exchanges, as well as the Global Competence Program. Guided revision of school’s mission and expectations for student learning; guided key aspects of self study for 2009 NEASC accreditation visit. Guided revision of senior project. Created “tardy incentive program”. Revised Ethics Policy. Established anti-bias initiative. Chair of Stress Reduction Committee, School Council. Established Student Judiciary Court.
Nantucket High School, 9-12, 400 students, 1999-2004
- Principal (2002-04), Assistant Principal (1999-2002). Responsible for implementing the School Improvement Plan and the school Mission; overall supervision and evaluation, and hiring for 70 staff. Developed and administered school budget and student activities program. Coached varsity golf. Managed all aspects of student behavior. Wrote district’s hiring policy and co-wrote school’s Teachers’ Guide for Students With Disabilities.
Special areas of Expertise
- Diversity and Multiculturalism
- Global Perspective & Cultural Proficiency
- School Stress and Mindfulness
- Character Education and Core Values
- School Construction
- Adolescent Suicide
- Workshop Presenter. 21C International Annual Conference (Hong Kong). “Hacking Your Relationship with Email”. (2014)
- Workshop Presenter. Search Leadership Fair. “The Assertive Principal” (2014)
- Keynote Speaker at TOYC event. “Who Owns the Learning?” Dhahran campus. (2014)
- Workshop Presenter. Project Zero (Harvard) at the American School in London. “Teaching Race” (2013)
- The Learning Institute at ASL. “Pedagogy and Approaches to Teaching and Learning in a Technology-Enriched Environment”. Jeff Utecht (2013)
- Panel Presenter, The Educators’ Retreat. Mindfulness conference with Thich Nhat Hahn. The Community of Interbeing. (2012)
- Sessions presenter at ECIS (Lisbon 2011): Entry Planning for Administrators; Why Teaching Race Matters
- Principals Training Center: Supervision & Evaluation course (2010); Aspiring Heads course (2011)
- Keynote speaker on adolescent stress and suicide topics: Town of Lexington Adolescent Mental Health Forum (2008); Child Development Seminar – Harvard Medical School (2008); Wellesley Congregational Church (2008); Harvard Medical School Department of Continuing Education’s “School Mental Health” Annual Conference (2009)
- Assistant Chair, New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC): two visiting committees (2006, 2007).
- Stanford University’s Challenge Success: active member of the initiative since 2005; panel presenter for 2008 conference.
- “What I no longer will be doing when it comes to child protection.” Blog. Council of International School (CIS). October, 2018.
- “Unconventional Strategies to Create Time and Space for School Leaders“. Blog. National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS). March, 2018.
- “Mindful Leadership in Practice.” Head2Head, Academy for International School Heads (AISH), November, 2017.
- “Academic Integrity: A Case for Good Teaching”. Independent School Magazine, Summer. 2012
- “Teaching Race in Our Schools is More Important Than Ever.” Intersections. V1, p.15-18. 2015
- “Teaching Innovation in Our Schools”. Unpublished.
One thought on “About”